Federal Drug Consequences
Felony drug consequences in Iowa state court can be severe! In Iowa there are four classes of felonies:
While these are the ordinary punishments be aware of additional consequences that come along with some drug crimes. For instance if you are a second or subsequent offender – you have been convicted of a drug trafficking offense before – your sentence can be tripled under Iowa Code Section 124.411.
IOWA CODE SECTION 124.411 – SECOND OR SUBSEQUENT OFFENSES
1. Any person convicted of a second or subsequent offense under this chapter, may be punished by imprisonment for a period not to exceed three times the term otherwise authorized, or fined not more than three times the amount otherwise authorized, or punished by both such imprisonment and fine.
2. For purposes of this section, an offense is considered a second or subsequent offense, if, prior to the person’s having been convicted of the offense, the offender has ever been convicted under this chapter or under any state or federal statute relating to narcotic drugs or cocaine, marijuana, depressant, stimulant, or hallucinogenic drugs.
3. This section does not apply to offenses under section 124.401, subsection 5.
Additionally, drug felonies carry mandatory minimums which most other felonies do not.
IOWA CODE SECTION 124.413 – MANDATORY MINIMUM SENTENCE
1. A person sentenced pursuant to section 124.401, subsection 1, paragraph “a”, “b”, “c”, “e”, or “f”, shall not be eligible for parole until the person has served a minimum period of confinement of one-third of the maximum indeterminate sentence prescribed by law.
2. This section shall not apply if:
a. The offense is found to be an accommodation pursuant to section 124.410; or
b. The controlled substance is marijuana.
Additional felony drug consequences can include, loss of job, loss of driver’s license and loss of a professional license. Bottom line: All felony drug offenses are serious! At Stowers & Sarcone your case is serious business. We will fight your felony drug offense aggressively! CALL NOW! (515) 224-7446